Japan travel and visa information 2022
Updated on 2022 / 05 / 30
Eligibility to Enter Japan
- You own a Japanese citizenship
- You hold a valid Residency Visa & Re-entry Permit
- You recived a Working Visa (short term/3 months or below)
- You obtained a Student Visa
- You got a Short Term Tourist Visa with packaged tours
※Please note that normal Tourist Visa still remains unopened
To enter Japan smoothly during the coronavirus pandemic, make sure you check the points below and the latest update on Japan’s International travel regulation.
2022 June New Quarantine Regulations
Due to Omicron, Japanese government categorized countries into 3 groups; red, yellow, and blue according to different level of case number, vaccine coverage, and risks. Different groups have different quarantine regulations.
After enter Japan, a 3 days government designated quarantine hotel will be arranged. Will receive a PCR at the end of quarantine period, and can leave the hotel if tested negative.
However, if you are fully vaccinated and have valid vaccination proof, you can arrange your own quarantine hotel or home quarantine for 7 days. The quarantine ends if you tested negative by visiting PCR center on your own.
Countries in Red Group: Pakistan, Fiji, Albania, Sierra Leone
Required 7 days self quarantine at home or hotel. The quarantine ends if you tested negative on the third day by visiting PCR center on your own. However, for those who are fully vaccinated, no need to quarantine.
Countries in Yellow Category: India, North Korea, Kiribati, Cook Islands, Samoa, Sri Lanka, Antigua and Barbuda, Uruguay, Guyana, Cuba, Grenada, Suriname, Andorra, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Angola, Yemen, Egypt, Eswatini, Eritrea, Oman, Cabo Verde, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kuwait, Comoros, Republic of Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Saudi Arabia…(99 countries in total)
Please see the full list on the table below.
No quarantine required. Still need a negative PCR result 72 hours in prior to departure.
Countries in Blue Category: Indonesia, Australia, Republic of Korea, Cambodia, Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, Canada, USA, Argentine, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Colombia, Jamaica, Iceland, Ireland, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Italy, United Kingdom, Estonia, Austria, Netherlands, Greece, Afghanistan, United Arab Emirates, Algeria, Israel, Iraq, Iran, Uganda…(98 countries in total)
Please see the full list on the table below.
Defintion of A Valid Vaccination Proof
Vaccination proof or certificate that fulfills all the requirements listed below:
- Issued by government or public organization
- Contains Name, Birth Date, Vaccin Type/Manufacturer, Date of Vaccination, and Number of Vaccine Doses Administered
- Shows vaccination at least twice with Pfizer, AZ, Moderna, or Janssen, and the third vaccination is Pfizer
2022 Entry Japan Requirements
1. Certificate of negative PCR test result – Everyone planning to enter Japan is required to take a COVID-19 PCR test 72 hours prior to departure and submit a certificate showing PCR negative test result in either the prescribed format (recommended) OR other acceptable format at the airport.
2.Submit Coronavirus Questionnaire – Before departure, please submit a Coronavirus Questionnaire online. You need to screenshot the QR code after completing the survey, which you will scan when entering Japan.
3.Written Pledge – The written pledge asks you to provide contact information and for your cooperation regarding COVID-19 related regulations. This form will be given to you during your flight, so it is not necessary to print it out. However, if you wish to read through the content, download from here.
4.Smart phone – You need to have a smartphone (Android or iOS) that allows you to update the latest App, and a valid contact phone number. If you don’t have a valid contact number in Japan, you must buy a SIM card, with internet, at the airport. To save time, we highly recommend you to download and install all the required Apps below before arrival.
5.Required App – You need to download 4 apps , turn on the App notification, allow the App to track your position, your mic, and camera. Then register and login into your App account ( Note: You can only login into OEL and COCOA after arriving in Japan. Caution: please use the same email and contact information to register all Apps to avoid problems.
Download the set up instruction for Apps
- Google Map Mobile App
Function : track your location (download iOS、 Android )
After download and login into your account, allow the App to track your location.
- “MySOS” App
Function: Video/voice talk （download iOS 、 Android）
Japanese Government official will keep in touch with you through “My SOS”. Please download this App to your phone and register an account (use the same email as everything else).
Download the App to your phone first, so you can save some time later. You can only login after you have arrived Japan. Remember to turn on App notification to receive the latest updates.
- COCOA (COVID-19 Contact-Confirming App)
Function：contact notification （download iOS、Android）
Login after arrival in Japan, need to turn on bluetooth while use.
PCR test upon arrival – Upon arrival, all travelers need to take a PCR test at the airport, which might take 40- 90 minutes from lining up to getting your test result . If your PCR result is negative, you will proceed to immigration examination and if you pass, you can claim your luggage and take a reserved transportation service to your declared accommodation of self-quarantine. On average, it takes 1-2 hours to go through all procedures at the airport.
During quarantine period, you must…
- Avoid taking public transportation reserved transportation services and avoid contact with other people.
- Stay at an independent accommodation (private apartment, hotel, serviced apartment…are allowed, as long as you do not share public facility such as bathroom and toilet with others) and avoid going out
- Please note that although the quarantine regulation of Japan does not strictly forbid you to go out from your self-quarantine accommodation, this is to be kept to a minimum and only when necessary (eg. buy essential food supply).
- Keep in touch with government officials and report location through the required Apps. The restriction ends officially at midnight on the 14th day of your self-quarantine. Note that the day of your arrival is counted as day zero, which means that you need to secure 15 nights of accommodation since the day of arrival.
Before applying to our package, please check the latest notice from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and your local consulate. If you have any questions regarding entry to Japan or our plan, please contact us.
- Update regarding International travel regulation (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan)
- Update regarding immigration and visa services (Immigration service agency of Japan)
- Coronavirus travel restrictions (Japan National Tourism Organization)
- Updates on COVID-19 situation in Tokyo (Tokyo Metropolitan Government)